A Message from the Program Director
Thank you for your interest in the Nuvance Health (now part of Nuvance Health) Psychiatry Residency Program. The goal of our new residency program is to provide medical training to future psychiatrists that are competent and compassionate; providing high quality evidence based psychiatric care. We are committed to prepare future physicians practicing psychiatry to excel in the different areas and demand of the specialty with a humanistic approach.
Our program is at Putnam Hospital, part of Nuvance Health, a community hospital in Carmel, NY, 50 Miles north of New York City, sitting on the eastern bank of the Hudson River. Carmel, a town in Putnam County, provides a perfect environment for residency training – teaming with lakes and farmland, charming villages and protected heritage sites to the splendor of the Hudson River.
The training experience will take place in Putnam Hospital and three other hospitals in the system: Vassar Brother Medical Center in Poughkeepsie, NY, Danbury Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut. In addition, training will also take place at several other inpatient mental health clinics and integrated care facilities in the area.
Our residency program offers diversity of training sites and patient population. The resident will have exposure to all the different areas of psychiatry including ECT, child and adolescent forensics, integrated care and telepsychiatry. Our faculty have different training backgrounds and expertise, all committed to provide the best teaching and supervision to prepare competent psychiatrists.
We have 8 residency positions per year. As a new program we will recruit for 8 PGY 1 categorical positions. I am honored to serve as the Program Director and Director of the Department of Psychiatry. We are excited that you are considering our residency program and looking forward to welcoming a diverse and talented group for the upcoming academic year.
Agdel J. Hernandez-Colon, MD
Residency Program Director
Medical Director, Department of Psychiatry
Putnam Hospital Center
The Psychiatric Residency Program is a 4 year categorical program based at Putnam Hospital Center (PHC) at Nuvance Health/Nuvance Facility.
During the training residents will rotate in 3 other Nuvance Health/Nuvance Health faculties and several outpatient clinics. Every block consists of 4 weeks rotations in Primary Care, Neurology, Inpatient Psychiatry and Emergency Psychiatry during the first year.
In the subsequent years the residents will have rotations in Integrative Care, Community Psychiatry, Addiction Psychiatry, Outpatient Geriatrics, Consultation Liaison Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Consultation, Forensic Psychiatry, Outpatient Psychiatry, and Tele- Psychiatry.
A robust Psychotherapy curriculum will begin in the second year of training.
An example of training blocks for First Year is shown below as an example. Please note that the schedule may be adjusted by the Program Director to ensure adequate training experiences, case log, and ACGME compliance.
Sites: PHC = Putnam Hospital Center, VBMC = Vassar Brothers Medical Center, DH = Danbury Hospital, and SH = Sharon Hospital.
Psychiatry Residency Program Fast Facts
- 4-year ACGME Residency Program
- 8 Residents per year – 32 residents total in four years
- Rotational experiences in 4 hospitals and several outpatient and integrated care clinics
- Exposure to all the different subspecialties of psychiatry including ECT, forensic child and adolescent psychiatry and telepsychiatry
- Teaching by experienced and passionate faculty in every rotation site
- Robust didactic curriculum with weekly protected afternoon for didactics, frequent journal club and grand rounds, quality improvement (QI) projects, PRITE and board preparation, chart reviews, and structured clinical examinations (OSCE)
- Diversity of patients, adequate volume of patient cases
Academic Didactic Schedule
Weekly protected time for lectures, seminars and conferences are provided. The didactics are designed to provide fundamental knowledge in General Psychiatry and subspecialties in the ACGME competencies and milestones designed for training in Psychiatry.
Lectures and seminar topics for PGY-1 years:
- Psychiatric Interview, Case Presentation and Writing
- Introductions to Psychopharmacology
- Introduction to Emergency Psychiatry and Risk Assessment
- Introduction to Psychotherapy
- Neurology for Psychiatrists
- Introduction to Community Psychiatry
- History of Psychiatry
- Identity, Team Leadership, Professionalism, and Transition to Practice: An Experimental Group Approach
- PRITE Review
- GME Lecture Series
- Journal Club
- Case Conferences
- MOC Interviews
- Introduction to Geriatric Psychiatry
- Essentials of Psychiatric Consultation
How to Apply
The Nuvance Health Psychiatry Residency Program thanks you for your interest in applying to our program. We accept all applications through ERAS only and participate annually in the NRMP Match Program.
Contact: Nicole Fortunato: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for an interview for the Nuvance Health (Nuvance Health) Psychiatry Residency Program, the following items must be submitted:
- Personal statement
- Current CV
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- MSPE (Dean’s) letter
- USMLE or COMLEX scores
Additional Benefit and Stipend Information
- Relocation allowance during the first year of residency: $2,000.
- Educational stipend: $1,800 annually
- Lab coats: 3 lab coats are provided during the first year of residency